Annapolis ENT Pre-operative Instructions
Annapolis ENT Pre-operative Instructions
Below is a list of instructions that will provide you with the information you will need during your preparation for surgery at Annapolis ENT Surgical Center. Please read and follow the instructions carefully.
ON THE WORKDAY PRIOR TO YOUR SURGERY
You must call the surgery center, 410-266-6267, between 12:00 noon and 2:00 p.m. to confirm the time of your surgery and the time you should arrive for check in at the surgery center. The surgery schedule is not finalized until the workday prior to the surgery date.
The surgery center address is located on the first floor of the Sajak Pavilion.
Annapolis ENT Surgical Center, LLC
2002 Medical Parkway Suite 150
Annapolis, MD 21401
PLAN TO KEEP YOUR SURGERY DAY FREE OF OTHER PERSONAL OR SOCIAL OBLIGATION. SURGERY TIMES CHANGE!!! EXACT TIME OF YOUR SURGERY IS NOT SET UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY.
AFTER MIDNIGHT, PRIOR TO YOUR SURGERY
- Do not have anything to eat or drink (Including water, chewing gum and lozenges!)
- Do not smoke
THE MORNING OF YOUR SURGERY
- You may take your usual medications with a small amount of water upon arising if they include the following “permitted medications”:
• Heart medications
• Blood Pressure medications
• Birth control pills
• Anti-seizure medications
• Drugs for psychiatric or neurologic conditions, except MAO Inhibitors
Absolutely no Aspirin or products containing Aspirin may be taken 10 days prior to your surgery. If you are unsure whether to take a medication, phone the surgery center at (410)-266-6267 to speak with a nurse.
- Brush your teeth, but do not swallow any water!
- Wear loose fitting clothing and bring a pair of socks.
- Bring an extra set of underwear for pediatric patients.
- Leave your valuables and jewelry at home.
- MAKE SURE YOU ARE ACCOMPANIED BY A RESPONSIBLE ADULT who must plan to stay at the surgery center during surgery and recovery to be available to receive discharge instructions and drive you home. THIS RESPONSIBLE ADULT OR ANOTHER DESIGNATED RESPONSIBLE ADULT MUST BE AVAILABLE TO STAY WITH YOU FOR THE FIRST 24 HOURS FOLLOWING YOUR SURGERY.
- Do not bring children, grandparents, or extra visitors as they will not be allowed in the Surgery Center.
- Advise your responsible adult caregiver that NO FOOD OR DRINK IS ALLOWED IN THE WAITING ROOM as a courtesy to our surgical patients.
- For caregivers there is an eatery on the Second floor across the skywalk for them to go and get something while they wait. Make sure they leave their phone number so we can reach them.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT?
- You will be dressed in a hospital gown
- You will have an IV started
- Your surgeon, anesthesiologist and nurse will interview you prior to surgery.
- Your surgery, anesthesia options and plan of treatment will be discussed with you and your responsible adult.
- Any questions you may have will be answered to your satisfaction.
- Pain relief: After your procedure, you will be asked to rate any discomfort you may experience on a scale of 1 – 10. Medication to control pain will be administered, first by IV and later by mouth.
POST OPERATIVE INFORMATION
You and your responsible adult will be given specific instructions concerning your post-operative care. It is imperative that a responsible adult caregiver stay with you for 24 hours following your surgery so they can assist you with administration of your medications, encourage fluids, and observe you for any unexpected problems.
- If you become ill prior to your surgery (fever, cough, cold, or flu-like symptoms), please contact your surgeon’s office immediately at 410-266-3900.
- If you have any questions relating to any aspect of your surgery, (pre-operative History and Physical, anesthesia, post-operative care or any aspect of your stay at Annapolis ENT Surgical Center), please contact your surgeon’s office at 410-266-3900.
- FOR ANY PROBLEMS OR CONCERNS RELATING TO YOUR SURGERY AFTER YOU LEAVE THE SURGERY CENTER, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SURGEON AT 410-266-3900.